Grafting Workshop at Cygnet.
Date: Saturday 21st August 2021
Time: 2pm- 430pm
Location: Cygnet, Tasmania
You will learn winter grafting techniques suitable for grafting hardwood fruit trees - apples, pears, quinces, plums, cherries, etc.
• How to harvest and store scion wood.
• How to prepare the root-stock.
• Whip and tongue grafting - the gold standard for grafting a variety (scion) onto a rootstock of similar or larger diameter.
• Bark (Crown) grafting - reworking an old tree
• Grafting knife sharpening and maintenance
• Secateurs sharpening and maintenance
• Cutting technique
• Binding/ taping technique
• Information sheets provided with illustrations.
• 2 apple rootstocks to graft and take home (value $19)
• everything to complete the coursework: A selection of suitable scion wood (apple), practice grafting wood, knife grafting tape, wound sealant, plant labels.
Grafting knife: I provide you with an excellent grafting knife that you can use for the day. You can purchase this knife for $32, or we have better ones depending on what holds well in your hand. In previous years I have provided a free cheap grafting knife to each student, but found that its harder to learn with a bad knife. I have plenty of knives to choose from, and it may be worth holding off purchasing a knife until you have trialed a couple. Have a look at the range here.
Secateurs: we do have a couple for general use, but it is better if you use your own. There will be a range of quality secateurs available for purchase on the day ($25 - $90 Bahco secateurs), so if you don't have any, wait until the workshop so you can try out a couple and see what you like. Have a look at the range here.
Numbers limited to 15. Cancellations are only considered if notice is given >48hrs prior.
Location: Cygnet, Tasmania. Please park at the Port Cygnet Sailing Club or the Public Boat Ramp. Then follow the signs as marked. Public Toilet facitilities are at the Yacht Club. Please dress appropriately for cold / windy / wet weather (jacket and sturdy shoes).
Suggestion: Come for lunch at one of Cygnet's many cafes: eg. Old Bank Cafe, Red Velvet Lounge and Lovett Cafe.
Warning: Few items in stock!
No customer reviews for the moment.