Grafting Workshop at Cygnet.
Date: Saturday 10th August 2019
Location: Cygnet, Tasmania
You will learn winter grafting techniques suitable for grafting hardwood fruit trees - apples, pears, quinces, plums, cherries, etc.
• How to harvest and store scion wood.
• How to prepare the root-stock.
• Whip and tongue grafting - the gold standard for grafting a variety (scion) onto a rootstock of similar or larger diameter.
• Bark (Crown) grafting - reworking an old tree
• Grafting knife sharpening and maintenance
• Secateurs sharpening and maintenance
• Cutting technique
• Binding/ taping technique
• Information sheets provided with illustrations.
• 2 apple rootstocks to graft and take home (value $19)
• everything to complete the coursework: A selection of suitable scion wood (apple), practice grafting wood, knife grafting tape, wound sealant, plant labels.
Grafting knife: I provide you with an excellent grafting knife that you can use for the day. You can purchase this knife for $32, or we have better ones depending on what holds well in your hand. In previous years I have provided a free cheap grafting knife to each student, but found that its harder to learn with a bad knife. I have plenty of knives to choose from, and it may be worth holding off purchasing a knife until you have trialed a couple. Have a look at the range here.
Secateurs: we do have a couple for general use, but it is better if you use your own. There will be a range of quality secateurs available for purchase on the day ($25 - $90 Bahco secateurs), so if you don't have any, wait until the workshop so you can try out a couple and see what you like. Have a look at the range here.
Numbers limited to 15. Cancellations are only considered if notice is given >48hrs prior.
Location: Cygnet, Tasmania. Please park at the Port Cygnet Sailing Club. Then follow the signs as marked. Public Toilet facitilities are at the Yacht Club. Please dress appropriately for cold / windy / wet weather (jacket and sturdy shoes).
Suggestion: Come for lunch at one of Cygnet's many cafes: Cygnet Woodfired Bakehouse, Old Bank Cafe, Red Velvet Lounge and Lovett Cafe.
This product is no longer in stock
Warning: Few items in stock!
No customer reviews for the moment.